How to love fair isle (or be obsessed)
I absolutely positively love fair isle. The first thing that got me hooked into knitting in the first place was a color design--I wanted to make a ski hat with Scandinavian snow flakes on it. So I did.
And then I became obsessed.
Now, ever since those first days of knitting passion, I have kept fair isle near and dear to my heart. My first thought when I see yarn is how to group it with another color, and then what gorgeous pattern can be made. Of course, it does not help to stare at designs by amazing knitters across the globe.
My love has, oddly enough, grown even more while making the mittens for the bazaar, though I am using such basic fair isle designs. But I am being as authentic as possible in them, which is interesting, and I am using bright, vibrant, beautiful colors to create these designs. For some reason, the overall experience is leveling on AWESOME. I love fair isle.
What I should really do someday is take a trip to Fair Isle, located in the Shetland Islands. These islands are at the very north of Scotland, and they are about as fascinating as the designs that originate from there. But seriously, they are fascinating. Probably as fascinating as the Scandinavian countries are to me.
So, knitting these mittens has been a joyous experience. I am in the process of knitting another one, but it is obviously still in the works.
Or, as I should say in my accounting terms, the mitten is only partially completed and is still in my Work in Process Inventory. When it is done, I will debit the Cost of Goods Manufactured into Finished Goods. Would you like me explain what will happen after that?
Don't mind me--I have a test tomorrow in that subject....
oh my .... love, love, LOVE! and, seriously, the cloud pocket sweater? oh swoon.... worked a little myself today, but SO SICK from the kids nasty cold. TOO MANY IDEAS ;-)
ReplyDeletewow--beautifully done! i love that blue pair!
ReplyDelete