The Island

Have you ever been to the edge of the earth....





....where the open sky and great quiet meet....





....a place of great wonder and deep mystery....





....of overwhelming feelings against the unknown?





I went to Prince Edward Island last week--what an amazing experience!  The Island is, simply put, a beautiful place.  Being before the tourist season, which is between July and August, my cousin Kirsten and I enjoyed the entire Island to ourselves.  The above pictures are just a taste of what we saw, experienced, and felt.

We flew into Charlottetown on Wednesday, picked up a rental car, and for the remainder of our five days drove everywhere that we could!  The Island is small and easily navigable, so the driving was no cruel feat.

Only, now all my dreams at night lately have been of maps and driving.  Phew!

But what a gorgeous place.  It has cliffs on all sides of it, red colored from the red sandstone that the Island is made of.  Some of the beaches were white, as you can see from some of the pictures, and some of them were as red as the cliffs.  Basin Head, by far my favorite beach, had the combination of white sand and red cliffs, which is very picturesque when coupled with dark pines!

You also see that I found sheep.  They are the only sheep that I saw, and I insisted that we stop for me to take a picture.  I also purchased some delicious looking one-ply Briggs & Little, my souvenir that I am extremely excited to knit up into something interesting!

There were many "new things" that I learned from this vacation to the Island.  I'll share them over time, and spread out the wonderfulness of the beautiful world.

So I will leave you with a quote by the famed author of the land, L.M. Montgomery:

"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which
anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens
but just those that bring simple little pleasures,
following on another softly, like pearls
slipping off a string."





Comments

  1. What a womderful blessing to get to go there! I have all of L. M. Montgomery's books and I would love to go there someday. She describes it so beautifully. Your photos are incredible! Thank you for sharing them. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment on the pictures! I love taking nature pics. As for the books, L.M. Montgomery describes life better than anyone else I have ever read! I loved the Island immensely. I hope you can get there someday!!!

      Delete
  2. I'd like to go there some day. Looks like a fun place, I've read all of the Anne books :) You look happy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy!! I hope you do get the chance. Definitely worth the trip :) Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I was thinking as I scrolled down the page looking at the photos, "this reminds me so much of Anne of Green Gables", and you were actually there!! Oh dear! I'm so jealous, but in a good way. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures on Prince Edward Island.
    Have a lovely end of the week, and then a restfull weekend, Nicole.

    x, Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe I was actually there, either!! It was just a beautiful place. And everything was 100% like what I imagine Anne's world to be like. Actually, I'm not sure much has changed since L.M. Montgomery wrote the books.... ;) I hope you have a wonderful end of week and weekend as well! Thanks, Elise!

      Delete
  4. I just wanted to let you know that this was one of my favorite blog posts ever! I really found myself transported to the island and experiencing the joy that you must have felt!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is one of the kindest comments I have ever had!!! Thank YOU, Emily! It truly was a fantastic experience, and I hope I can go back someday. I am glad you enjoyed the post, and could enjoy a part of the Island as well through it :) Have a wonderful and lovely weekend!

      Delete
  5. oh how fun! My husband and I were there last year, very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you! Yes, it is a very lovely, quiet, peaceful place--especially in May when only the locals are around! Have a good weekend :)

      Delete
  6. we spent an afternoon there years ago visiting friends.....it was torturous to leave!! I envy your 5 days!!!! Beautiful pictures...and a GREAT quote!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only an afternoon? You'll have to go back! Thank you so much, Steph!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful!! I think it would be so fun to visit there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! It was a gorgeous Island. I loved it :)

      Delete
  8. I am in love with your trip. Thank you for sharing such beautiful photos with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andi!! I am glad you enjoyed the pictures :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts