Sheepish on sheep
I admitted to one of my classes the other day that I consider myself a Knitting Expert.
Of course, I am not an expert in comparison to some of my favorite knitwear designers, such as Brooklyn Tweed or Kate Davies, but I am certainly not ignorant in knitting techniques. There are a few projects I have yet to do (such as knitting a sock or two), but overall, I have more than covered the basics. I even have the history of hand knitting in my back pocket to toss about if I get the chance!
Thus, Knitting Expert is not wholly the right term, but I figured my classmates would not fully appreciate the term Amateur Knitting Designer. Which stinks.
There is an unfortunate stigma against knitting that I keep forgetting about. The only exception is that people are more likely to accept it as a useful hobby for gifts. Basically, you are allowed to knit infinity scarves to wear or to give away.
But until you reach a certain age, infinity scarves are the only projects that are (commonly) considered acceptable.
That is about as much as you probably want to hear of my rant, though! I can go on about it for quite a while, probably more than any other subject.
Although I also seem to have trouble keeping my mouth shut on the topic of different wool, as well. Unfortunately, with this topic, I start getting a little arrogant and begin to list the fibres in my friends' sweaters.
I maybe should change my label altogether, then. I am more of a Wool Knitting Nerd. I examine other peoples' sweaters, I scoff at the price (and quality) of expensive brand name sweaters, and I perk up at the mention of a new type of sheep.
Think I am a little odd in my obsession? Relative to my fellow Wool Knitting Nerds, Amateur Knitting Designers, and Knitting Experts, probably not!
Of course, I am not an expert in comparison to some of my favorite knitwear designers, such as Brooklyn Tweed or Kate Davies, but I am certainly not ignorant in knitting techniques. There are a few projects I have yet to do (such as knitting a sock or two), but overall, I have more than covered the basics. I even have the history of hand knitting in my back pocket to toss about if I get the chance!
Thus, Knitting Expert is not wholly the right term, but I figured my classmates would not fully appreciate the term Amateur Knitting Designer. Which stinks.
There is an unfortunate stigma against knitting that I keep forgetting about. The only exception is that people are more likely to accept it as a useful hobby for gifts. Basically, you are allowed to knit infinity scarves to wear or to give away.
But until you reach a certain age, infinity scarves are the only projects that are (commonly) considered acceptable.
That is about as much as you probably want to hear of my rant, though! I can go on about it for quite a while, probably more than any other subject.
Although I also seem to have trouble keeping my mouth shut on the topic of different wool, as well. Unfortunately, with this topic, I start getting a little arrogant and begin to list the fibres in my friends' sweaters.
I maybe should change my label altogether, then. I am more of a Wool Knitting Nerd. I examine other peoples' sweaters, I scoff at the price (and quality) of expensive brand name sweaters, and I perk up at the mention of a new type of sheep.
Think I am a little odd in my obsession? Relative to my fellow Wool Knitting Nerds, Amateur Knitting Designers, and Knitting Experts, probably not!
Comments
Post a Comment