Favorite new dishtowels

There has been significant remodeling work being done in my parents' kitchen, and I had one of those inspirational urges.

It had been on my mind for a few months that I have not made dishtowels in a while.  In fact, I have made hardly any since the first dishtowels I made about three years ago; I made a whole ton then.

But I petered out quickly.  And now it's been a while.

The dishtowel journey of mine began in a hot July three years ago, as I was determined to attempt a waffle weave on my rigid heddle loom.  Of course, I was using a worsted weight thread, and the towel ended up being rather clunky and stringy.  Yet for all my dissatisfaction now, I loved the towel then, and (lo and behold!) it is my most popular pin on Pinterest.




Continuing down the timeline, if you follow my journey of dishtowels from three years ago, you will find that I began with the above-pictured waffle weave, moved on to a hounds-tooth pattern, made a new version of waffle weave out of smaller cotton thread (with a new beater to boot), and then proceeded to make a whole bunch more to sell at a craft fair.

Yet I repeat again, three years have passed by.  My inspiration last week brought a moment where I could have stood up in grim determination to cry, "It is time!"

Therefore (getting more to the point of this post) I started yet another dishtowel epic last weekend.  The basics of the dishtowel were as follows:  I wove it on my rigid heddle with my reed of 12.5dpi, using blue and green cotton threads for the warp, and only a single green thread for the weft.  The result was a pretty, heathered sea green.


I started on July 4th, enjoying the warm weather....



...and then I finally finished early in the week....



...and then after hemming my two new dishtowels, I washed them.  Except, I then learned that my hem was not very good when the dishcloth came back out of the washer.  My hems fell apart.



But I am glad to say that dishtowels are allowed to be hemmed twice.  After my mom saw the messy hem, she offered to clean them up with the sewing machine.  I was very pleased when I came home from work the other day to find them with nice, pretty, straight hems.  And how pretty they are now!

I love how these look, wash, and feel!  The double warp with a single weft made the perfect dishtowel; there is depth to the texture.  Also, the unmercerized cotton I have from Valley is so soft and so absorbent.

So here now we see....


One useful dishtowel.



And is that a second pretty one hanging there, looking nice and chic?



Why, yes!  So it is!  Doesn't it just look lovely?  ;)



A very happy project, I have to say.  Do you have any fun cotton/summer crafts that you have been making lately?

Have a good week!




Comments

  1. How fun!! My daughter and I just made a matchbox loom for our first foray into weaving! She is making a bookmark for her grandpa's birthday and even at five she is easily able to weave independently as long as i get each new color for the stripes ready! Now I REALLY think learning to weave on a real loom would be fun! Your towels are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I had a potholder loom when I was young, and I thought it was a ton of fun. And even if your daughter isn't big enough for a "real" loom yet, I think you might have some fun with it as well :) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. So, my first comment may have deleted? If not, ignore the fact that I'm typing the same thing twice. I love the dishtowel! It looks lovely, and if it's absorbent as well... that is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! Hey, a dishtowel is supposed to be functional, right?

      Delete
  3. you are multi-talented! love love love the towel and the weaving (which I did not know you did). So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I am not as frequently weaving as I wish, but I love to do it when I get the chance. And these towels just came out amazing, so I am really happy! :)

      Delete
  4. my favorite dishtowels are woven ones....sadly not by me, because I baby these things; totally afraid that I won't be able to replace them when/if they wear out!!! How lucky you can do your own!!!! :) They are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do enjoy the fact that I have my own dishtowels! Who knew you could love something so functional? Thanks, Steph!

      Delete
  5. I love that dish towel! The green and blue are so great :) I've definitely got to put weaving on my to-learn list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weaving is just a ton of fun! And a rigid heddle loom is small enough (or, at least the size I have!) for the average joe to keep around. If you can get your hands on one, I think you would enjoy it! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. This looks beautiful! I am so eager to learn how to weave, it looks like a craft I could really get into. Have you ever woven anything with linen? My mum always swears that linen dishtowels are the most absorbent and the quickest to dry, but I haven't put this to the test yet. :)
    x, Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't woven anything with linen yet! I was just thinking the other day how that would be good to try. As for learning to weave, I definitely recommend it, especially if you like plaid scarves or scarves in general. Nothing's better than a woven scarf!! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Ooh, love the woven dishcloth. How great of your mom to fix the hem. I can see where they would be a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andi! The best part of all is that, after a week or so of using them, the dishtowels are STILL the favorite! Makes me very happy :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts