Workgirl

My "summer vacation," to borrow the phrase, is coming to a close.  Considering that I have been wandering between rooms as if I am a restless phantom, I am glad for the change!  My job-hunt has been finalized by an offer, and I now have a job that will stick with me for some time.

This job, being a new professional job, has brought the advent of Shopping.  I have shopped a great deal.  My bank account frowns at me at the moment, but the need for proper clothes is justifying my spree.

But, on top of shopping, I have also been trying to sew again.  Why not?  I could talk for hours about the horrors of quality that you can find.  I see it most in sweaters, but bad quality is not limited to them.  So, I say again, why not?

Thus, I made a skirt.


This skirt that I have made is actually from a lovely 1970's pattern that I had on hand.  The point of the project, if not because I hoped the skirt would turn out well, was to prove that I CAN sew, and that, if I put my mind to it, I DO have patience.  Seeing that my mom admitted those two qualities to me in the end, I would say that I had some success.




The skirt itself, I would say, is successful.  What's tricky is that the length of the skirt exceeds the normal "modern" length by a few inches.  And what's also tricky is:  will I feel self-conscious that I made the skirt?  With sweaters, I do not normally worry about this question since they are part of casual wear.  But what about sewn articles?

I am not sure yet, but hopefully I will find that I DO feel comfortable.



Comments

Popular Posts