Uncertainties versus socks

Is it common to celebrate changes in life by knitting something?  Because that is what I did, and here is the story:

I have noticed over the years that most knitters make socks.  There are books and books and patterns and patterns with content specific to socks.  Some knitters only make socks.  Some knitters make socks on the side.

Socks, socks, socks.

But I never made a pair.  I almost did about two years ago, but I gave up in the end.  It was destined to fail, though, considering that I planned to knit that fateful pair almost entirely from scratch.  Why I ever thought it was a good idea to improvise what I had never made before, I don't know.

In any case, I thought that would be the only attempt I would make in the sock realm.  I buried that plan and scorned the thought of sock knitting.  That is, I at least had this thought in mind until this past spring when a friend of mine offered a couple sock patterns to me.  Socks suddenly seemed interesting again, and even attempt-able.  I soon had worked up enough inspiration to knit a pair.

This sock plan began to form in May, a rather inopportune time for the inspiration to occur.  Seeing that I had just graduated from college, I had to give myself this stipulation:  until I got a job, buying yarn was absolutely forbidden.

Therefore, I worked at applying, interviews, etc. while I dreamed of what I called my Celebratory Socks.  My plan was to get a job and then immediately buy yarn for these Socks.

Everything totally went down just as I planned.  After three days into the new job, I finished my first pair.  A week later, I am proud to show them off.

Please to view, the Celebratory Socks:







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts