Things like history lessons

When I went to the UK this past May, I was technically taking a class.  In fact, I'm still taking it.  Reading journals, a travel journal, and a research paper are what make up this three credit history course.  Only some of my assignments have been taken care of so far, and I'm running out of time before the end of the summer.  Thus, little by little, I must poke at my work and read almost nightly now.

The making of England is my current read.  And I have found that, as I go about my ordinary life, I am always thinking about King Ethelred the Unready or King Henry I and his 20-something illegitimate children.  What makes it worse is that I'm knitting at the same time.  Thus, all of my newly knitted woolens are now associated with different parts of English history.  I have a hat that I just finished (as a part of a larger project) that will now remind me forever of the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of Northumbria, Mercia, and Wessex, and with them all the Viking attacks that seem to be ridiculously numerous.

So that is my life of late.  If I'm not working, I'm in the depths of English history that I can only hope to partially understand (thanks to the maps and family trees provided).  Knitting is accomplished slowly, yet overall I have been massively pleased with how everything's turning out.

Here is my latest accomplishment, made out of more of my Scottish wool as a souvenir:



And now August is quickly approaching!  I probably should hurry through the rest of England's history if I'm going to finish it before the fall semester starts.  Cheers!




Comments

  1. MIss you, dear. Have just caught up on your UK pics and all your lovely-as-always knitting and my gorgeous model sister :-) Let's find a date after you and K are back at school, okay? Maybe we can score a girls' night out with Amy too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts