What sweaters are made of

When my Interweave Knits magazine comes, as quarterly it does, my mom always happens to glance at it before me.  When at last I am sitting on the couch and flipping through the colorful pages, cup of tea included, she hovers over and points at the designs she likes best.

I took note once and decided that, should I finally get around to it, I would make the simple aran sweater that she admired.

I bought the yarn at the end of the summer, but because of the other projects I had floating around, I set a starting date of October first.  I also decided to attempt to knit the entire sweater in secret, which (considering that we live in the same house and I normally like to knit in the family room) was no easy feat.

Amazingly I did finish the sweater in secret.  However, my opinion now is, "I never approve of surprises; the pleasure is never enhanced, and the inconvenience is considerable."  (A great quote from a great movie.)


I chose the yarn in light grey, Dove Heather in case you're curious, since natural and earthy colors seem to be the most flattering on people.  I have learned this from others' comments about my clothes:  I get the most when I wear tan, taupe, and oatmeal.  So I am making a conscious choice to go a little subdued in my yarns.

As for the pattern, I did not follow it straight through.  In fact, I modified much of it.  First of all, I chose to knit the front and the back together in the round.  And instead of doing the fancy ribbing on the front, I chose to do it all in k2, p2.


Knitting the sweater in the round is convenient because you do not have to sew the pieces together.  Seams raise the risk of error enormously, and thus I like to avoid them.  Keeping that in mind, I also decided to tackle getting rid of the seams at the armhole, because sewing sleeves into the body of any garment is AWFUL.

I may seem over dramatic on this, but I honestly HATE sewing sleeves.  How do you make sure it's in the exact center?  How do you know if the circumferences will match?  How do you keep the seam from looking messy?

Therefore, I avoided the pains and frustrations of sleeve seaming and improvised.  I picked up about 20 stitches at the cap of the sleeve, and I simply picked up stitches every row.  Some decreases were needed to ensure that I ended with the right number of stitches, but it was not so bad at all:  it only took me three attempts to get it right.  And then all I had to do was knit the sleeve in the round for the length that I wanted.

Problem solved.


Now, please note that lovely ribbing around the neck of the sweater.  I am so incredibly pleased with this edging.  Yes, it also took a couple attempts before I got it right, but re-dos are always, ALWAYS worth it!

I usually am frustrated and saddened by my neck edgings.  Most sweaters that I have made have necks that are too tight and do not stretch very well.  By the end of the day, I find myself pulling at the neck, trying to loosen it.  In this sweater, however, I mastered the loose-ish and stretchy ribbing, and I am pleased to say the least.

My mom's pleased, too.  Though, I am not sure that she was too interested in modeling for me....


If you are interested in more information about the modifications, let me know.  I found the sweater fun to knit, and I love the aran pattern designs on the front.  Definitely nice :)

Happy New Year!



Comments

  1. Beautiful job on the sweater, and it fits your mother perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It's definitely a relief that it fits her well :)

      Delete
  2. Your mom looks great in her sweater, you did a lovely job. I've been wanting to make this sweater in DK as you did, but keep having trouble with converting from worsted to DK, especially because the front is so heavily cabled, and undoubtedly pulls in quite a bit. Did you have to do any recalculating, or add stitches to the front,or did you just find a larger size to make?

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, Karen!

      In case it is helpful, my gauge after washing is 11 sts in 2" and 13 rows in 2".

      The yarn I chose (which is 100% merino) was extremely stretchy and buoyant. In addition, since I knit the sweater in the round, it has greater stretch (seams tend to stiffen fabric). My mom definitely wears it with negative ease, but it does not pull uncomfortably.

      However, in hindsight, I probably should have gone up a size, just in case the sweater begins to shrink a little with washing/wearing. If you don't want the sweater to be fitted, I would suggest that you go up a size as well. I hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  3. I plan to make the same adjustments that you did--will be using a DK yarn and knitting it in the round (as much as possible). A bit concerned that I should go up a couple of sizes since I want a couple inches of positive ease--what do you think? Also, have made several sweaters but have never done one like how you did yours--picking up stitches and knitting down to the cuff. Any special tips? This will be the most intimidating part for me. I would like to raise the neckline about an inch or so to bring it up (won't be wearing a shirt under it and not fond of the slightly scooped necklines--like a classic crew neckline). Any suggestions on doing that? You did such a great job on yours--absolutely LOVE this sweater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will try to answer you as best as I can :)

      I think that if you want positive ease, you definitely should go up in a size or even 2 sizes. The DK yarn will make it smaller than what the pattern suggests, besides that the pattern is written to be fitted as well. I would make a swatch to see how much the gauge will change with your yarn! But definitely plan on going up in at least 1 size.

      One thing I would note about going up in sizes is that you should make sure that the proportions for the armholes and the neck are what you want. You may want to plan to knit the same number of inches as your correct size. That way the width will be different, but the length will not be as much.

      As for the neck, I think you're safe moving the neckline up an inch, and all the way up to 2 inches. But I wouldn't move it further than that! If you follow the shaping as written, I think it will turn out OK!

      Picking up the stitches and knitting down to the cuff is my new favorite way of doing sleeves! But it is complicated to explain. I plan to do a picture tutorial of my method, which I think might be the easiest way to show what to do. Or, I know the Spring 2015 Interweave Knits magazine did a blurb about this method.

      Please let me know if you need clarification! Thank you for your compliment :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much, Nicole, for your reply. I am good at frogging (!!) so if I have problems, I will be practicing my frogging again. I think an inch or a bit over will be fine for moving the neckline up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! If you have any other questions, please let me know!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts