A pallid sky o'er a rusty earth
The one very, very, very nice thing about a November Saturday is the pure bliss of waking up cozy and warm in flannel sheets. The room is still mostly dark, your unprotected nose is somewhat chilly, and there is nothing to lure you out from your comfort. So you don't move.
Sunny Saturdays are all good and wonderful if you have plans--but if you don't? Let it rain.
For more Saturday comforts, as we sit looking out into the bleak weather, I recommend a tasteful pallet of music. Being a fan of romantic music, I have been enraptured by Maurice Ravel's Daphnis et Chloé, the second suite in particular. Or, listen for the horns near the end of Claude Debussy's La Mer which draw in one of the most beautiful themes I have heard.
I love music. (Well, good music. I am kind of picky.)
And if you don't love music as I do, but rather you are looking for the project I have promised to show, let me proceed. A project is finished: I have been weaving again, and this time I wove a scarf for myself.
I donned my cashmere sweater from a couple of years ago, snatched the scarf, and went throughout the house looking for the room with the most light. Having found it, I got the pictures I wanted.
I believe the scarf is about 6 feet in length. It is over my wing span, so I know that the scarf is a decent length, but I also know that it is not so INCREDIBLY long as the last one I made. The yarn I chose was KnitPick's Palette, a fingering weight wool. The color names were important in picking them: Shire, Bouquet, and Oregon Coast.
The plaid is very simple. I debated doing a more intricate one, but I decided not to in the end for a couple of reasons. First, I'd rather use up my colors at the same rate, so making all of the stripes (warp and weft) the same width of 14 strands, I was able to do that. Second, simple always looks and wears best.
Plaid is always a lot of fun. I have enough yarn left over to make a hat and/or gloves too! Eventually I will make the set complete, but for now....
I'm really at my limit of projects right now. Sigh. I don't even have that many. But when I'm not at work, there's always so much to do at home and everywhere else. They say that, after college, the amount of time that you have free increases. And maybe that's true, but...I haven't discovered that yet. Mostly I just feel tired all the time.
But it's alright! I knit and weave when I can, and I do get things done fairly quick. The black cardigan I'm making is just naturally a slow project, so it has been frustrating me in that regard. But I'm taking a few breaks from it, reminding myself it doesn't HAVE to been finished anytime soon.
I do have another small project to be starting now, so hopefully I'll have more to report soon. Cheers!
Comments
Post a Comment