Knitting on a plane
"I haven't seen somebody knit in years."
I heard her mumble these words through my earbuds. I pulled the them out as I turned to the woman seated next to me and gave a smile. "Yes," I replied, "I like bring my knitting on flights--it really helps to pass the time." After a moment I added with a laugh, "There's actually a very large Internet presence of knitters, although I don't know many in person myself."
She didn't say hardly anything more, and I'm not even sure her initial comment was even directed to me. I felt her awkwardness, even though I didn't feel awkward myself. We didn't converse the rest of the flight. But her reaction is all too familiar to me: almost everyone hasn't seen or heard of somebody knitting for years.
Want to create a social stir? Start knitting in public.
Society blows me away. When did knitting become such a taboo? Since when did living simply and practically become so shameful? Why, when we don't follow Society's mode, are we made to feel ashamed and embarrassed?
I heard her mumble these words through my earbuds. I pulled the them out as I turned to the woman seated next to me and gave a smile. "Yes," I replied, "I like bring my knitting on flights--it really helps to pass the time." After a moment I added with a laugh, "There's actually a very large Internet presence of knitters, although I don't know many in person myself."
She didn't say hardly anything more, and I'm not even sure her initial comment was even directed to me. I felt her awkwardness, even though I didn't feel awkward myself. We didn't converse the rest of the flight. But her reaction is all too familiar to me: almost everyone hasn't seen or heard of somebody knitting for years.
Want to create a social stir? Start knitting in public.
Society blows me away. When did knitting become such a taboo? Since when did living simply and practically become so shameful? Why, when we don't follow Society's mode, are we made to feel ashamed and embarrassed?
There is a looming cloud of expectations that Society likes to thrust at us: the things to watch, the things to say, the things to do, the things to eat, the things to drink, the things to enjoy, the things to know. It tells you how to have friends, where to find them, and what to expect out of them. Society will let you know what a perfect family or relationship will look like, and what specific things should be present to indicate its perfection. Society will let you know anything, especially when you're not meeting its hallowed expectations.
Everyone seems to have a copy of Society's How-To book, and everyone believes that "getting it right" will bring a life of bliss. We notice the rule breakers, and respond with disdain at those not following the norm. At the same time, we do our utmost so that others don't make the same comments about us.
So as long as you're relatively better, you're good.
Jesus, on the other hand, calls us to live more than just "relatively better". Not just good people, we are to run away from the clutches of Society and live a life, inside and out, of purity. Instead of the insatiable fight to win Society's favor, we are to rest and be quenched in the Word. Living so entirely different, we are to become sunshine to a world that does not know what sunshine is.
Jesus calls us to not worry about Society's rules and expectations. He doesn't have a checklist to follow, his way is being, realizing you've arrived (and this through grace). It is a calling greater than any other, and without his strength, one of the hardest.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble,
whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable –
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy –
think about such things.
Philippians 4:8



Interesting! I've never had anyone (that I can remember) act like I was weird for knitting. Everyone I have met thinks it is fascinating and wants to know what I am making. Your scarf is looking lovely!
ReplyDelete