Let us build an igloo



I noticed my own inconsistencies about wintertime and snow.  Since then, I have begun to laugh at my growing-confused notions.

As a general rule, I love snow and find it breathtaking, especially when they are visible crystals landing on the windshield of my car.  Out snowshoeing, looking out on a Saturday morning, watching flakes swirl, seeing the fresh snow covering the salt and dirt--I am in silent raptures.

And yet, I sway to the other side too.  The commute is simply TERRIBLE during a snow storm, and because they always seem to happen during the commuting times, they therefore are unappreciated no matter how beauteous.  The frigid temperatures get to me as well, when I have to climb into a cold car and wait twenty minutes for it to be a comfortable degree.

The Cat has the right idea about winter, and a cold, snowy winter at that.  In my land of dreams, winter is always this snowy and cold, but the commuting part is left out, and I rather look more like her....




Thinking on the same lines of comfort and comforting things, I'll transition to the baby blanket, which, I am happy to report, is DONE!  Finished at last!





I will readily admit that it is not of the style of a traditional baby blanket (which, for a wee little girl, would be pink and frilly), but it was not requested by the mother, and neither am I against knitting something a little more contemporary.

It has a lot of festivity to it, too.  The little banners, the leaf pattern, the plain stockinette stitch...it has its own sense of delicacy and grace to it.





Not wanting to overdo the patterns on the design, I edged the blanket all the way around with an i-cord.  Considering the stretchiness that the blanket has, the i-cord should give it more stabilization as a firm border.  I like the clean cut look it lends, as well.

The blanket is a generous size, and the (mostly) cotton yarn is oh! so soft.  What a good, long project it was.

Wherever you are, I hope you're comfy and warm!  Have a good week!




Comments

  1. The blanket is just lovely. Total agreement about winter/snow. If only I could just stay inside and enjoy and only go out in it when we want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is funny how winter is extremely enjoyable while inside, but once the weather warms up, we have the desire to always be outside! Each season is best enjoyed in a different way :)

      Delete
  2. love that blanket and the icord all around is a nifty idea. I do not have to commute and I think that is why I love winter so. I do not think I would be as joyous behind the wheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am very pleased with the i-cord! I've been rather addicted to them...they make such nice, clean edges. As for winter, I am always glad to get a fresh perspective of the season from people like you! Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. what a perfect baby gift!!! it's beautiful....practical....and an heirloom to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I get the same reaction when I give the blanket this weekend :)

      Delete
  4. that blanket looks absolutely beautiful. I love how you reappropriated a sweater pattern into something that I'm sure is going to take quite longer to be grown out of than a simple sweater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have loved the sweater pattern, mostly because of those Aran patterns, so I thought, why not? :)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful blanket. I'm not a knitter (yet), but seeing things like this make me want to get going. The furniture your Dad made is gorgeous by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad certainly will appreciate that compliment! And it is entirely against my nature to discourage anyone from knitting ;) Thanks!

      Delete
  6. That baby blanket is gorgeous! I'm sure both the mom and the baby will both appreciate your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The baby shower is this weekend, and I can hardly wait to see what she thinks :)

      Delete
  7. What a lovely blanket, so classic! I'm sure it will be loved for many generations, Nicole. You remind me how grateful I need to be that I don't have to do the commute thing, stay warm :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leigh! Loving wool as I do, I shouldn't complain! Stay warm as well :)

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry about the difficult commute. The blanket is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep reminding myself that it WILL be warm someday! Thanks :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts