Just like a lady

If there is anything fascinating to me, it is reading a good 19th century novel and learning how life was lived at one time.  I wonder how on earth those women lived!  I do Internet searches in order to find pictures of the different things women were, in some ways, required to make themselves.  We live in an age of machinery; they lived in an age of muscle!

Here's a great example.  Remember that lemon chiffon cake I made?  It takes 6 eggs to make, and both the yokes and the whites must be beaten and whipped.  I whipped up the whites by my own strength as best as I could...and my mom had to take over near the end!  Now, if I whipped eggs all the time or kneaded bread dough to no end, imagine my arm size!

I'm still pretty wimpy, don't worry.  Well, I worry a little--I'm going on an intense hiking/backpacking/camping trip later this month.  I'll let you know if I survive the weekend.

Anyway, let us return to the accomplishments of our ancestors.  Or, rather, let us look to my accomplishments, which is reminiscent of a frugal and practical past (though I like the impractical past a ton more, I must admit).







Welcome to the blog that celebrates the art of woven dish towels.  In particular, let me introduce the Waffle Weave.  Absorbent, robust, and flexible.  Perfect for kitchens across America; women around the nation praise its magnificence.  Are you without a Waffle Weave?

Not I :)

Comments

  1. oh my! i love them! i am rather amazed that that is done with the loom ! it's kind of fascinating. someday, i must watch you work...

    and no worries about all that egg whipping and dough kneading... that's why those ladies had umpteen children, so they could make THEM whip and knead!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts